Tuesday, December 8, 2009

To Coupon or Not to Coupon

Using coupons is fairly new for me.  Until recently I just never really bothered.  To be honest since starting I've thought about not bothering!  Let me back up a bit with this story.  A few months or so ago a friend of mine brought up the subject of couponing in a group I was in one night.  She shared a lot of information with us (a website and such) and encouraged us all to give it a try.  I was a bit leery, a bit intrigued, and I guess I could use some personal something at the time (okay some of you may be feeling sorry for me about now).  So I decided to jump in with the others and give it a try.  It has been interesting to say the least.

My first few tries at Store A were chaotic and humbling.  I shared with some of the group that if I needed to be humbled, trying to use coupons at Store A was doing it.  I am sorry to say that my teenage son probably wanted to abandon me and escape to the car.  To his credit, he didn't.  He just kept saying, "Are you sure it's worth this, mom?"  (Now some of you are probably feeling sorry for him or laughing!)

I have improved though and I'm learning the lingo.  Have I saved any money?  Probably not.  I'm afraid I've fallen into the trap of purchasing some things that I don't normally purchase.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't promote saving money.  However, I have picked up a few things for free and stocked my pantry at times to the point of overflowing.

Oh, but how things digress!  Just when you think you've got it all figured out.  My last few store visits have somewhat resembled the first ones and I am learning that if you are going to coupon you might as well learn to eat a lot of humble pie.  

Before I go, let me tell of a recent visit to Store B.  I have found that carrying a small envelope with my coupons neatly ordered according to the layout of the store works well.  A plus for couponing. What I'm not sure of is how to handle the man who feels the need to peer over my shoulder and "see" what I'm doing with my envelope! 

I think I will stick with it a bit longer but for the long haul ~ the jury is still out!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm not a coupon user because like you said, they tempt me to buy things I wouldn't normally buy.

Patricia said...

I'm with you on this one. I hate coupons. I either don't have time to clip them, or I clip them and forget to take them, or I clip and take them but then forget to hand the to the cashier or get the wrong quantity of required items. Gie me a good book to read instead.Best wishes for your efforts. I know they work well for some people.