I was a bit skeptical about this pretzel recipe when I first saw it because of all the whole wheat in it. The last time I tried a recipe from the internet with so much whole wheat (it was for bread) it turned out terrible. I have to admit that much of the problem probably had more to do with the cook than the recipe. You've heard of rubber biscuits? Well, let me just say that a chunk of my bread could bounce! The results from this pretzel recipe though, were quite pleasing. Since this was my first time to make soft pretzels (yes, my first time) it took me a bit to get the size right. At first I used a bit too much dough per pretzel and they looked more like a big round honey bun. I made adjustments until they finally came out right. They were well received by my family and will definitely be a recipe that I will keep. I do have to say that they are a bit different in taste than the ones that I purchase sometimes, but the purchased ones are probably the ones with empty calories and no nutrition! So thanks to Heavenly Homemakers for the recipe.
By the way, my mom seemed to think that you could probably make bread with this same recipe. I'm thinking that it would probably make some good wheat rolls also ~ hopefully without the bounce!
4 comments:
Lol, bouncy bread! My dad always said that you could knock a man out at 20 paces with one of my sister's biscuits!
How fun!! I've never made soft pretzels before either...they look so yummy! About the whole wheat bread...you can condition the dough by adding an egg or two and a Tbsp or two to the wet ingredients...it really works! :)
Blessings,
Camille
Those look yummy! The secret to whole wheat is what kind of whole wheat you use for different recipes. For baking (cookies and such) I use whole wheat pastry flour - hard to tell the difference between it and white flour, and for breads I use a whole wheat flour that is higher in protein(hard red winter wheat). It took me a long time of experimenting with the different whole wheat flours before I was happy with my cooking results. That is one reason why I started my blog, to share my recipes so people didn't have to make the same mistakes I did when I first switched over to exclusively using whole wheat in my cooking.
Cheesemakin' Mamma, thanks for the information on the flour!
Post a Comment