I have been in a few situations recently where I hoped someone else would give me the benefit of the doubt. I must admit I struggle many times with doing this for others. It is a sad truth, but I think most of the time we as people take a negative approach to something that happens without considering that the situation may be completely different than what we are thinking. Let me give an example. If you have read my post from the past you know that we have a Chocolate Factory where we live. We frequent it just about weekly. As a reward to their customers they give a card that is punched when you buy some of their products and earns you a freebie when fully punched. We purchase an apple or apples just about every time we are there. Not too long ago we went in and spent a good bit of time talking with one of the employees. You know what happens when there is too much distraction ~ someone forgets to do something. Well, that is what happened to us that day. I didn't realize it until the next time we went in. I had one more purchase to make to get a free apple. So, I pulled out my card and explained that I would like to purchase an apple and use the filled card to redeem a free apple. It was then that the lady at the register, whom we talk to on a regular basis, turned the card over to initial the last purchase and paused slightly, which made me look. I noticed what she obviously noticed ~ the last two punches had not been initialed. She continued with the order. I realized that the worker from the last visit who had failed to initial the punched card, had without intention, just put both the lady waiting on me and myself in an awkward situation. I knew who had forgotten to initial the punched card and realized what had happened, but I couldn't help but wonder if the lady waiting on me at the time now questioned my honesty. Yes, it bothered me. I have prayed repeatedly that any time she thought the wrong thing that God would bring the thought to her mind that someone had forgotten to initial the card after punching it. It makes me sad to realize that you can choose repeatedly to do the right thing and live before others in a manner that would honor God and then something so innocent could actually cause someone to believe something bad about you. Yes, it bothers me ~ but it has also been an opportunity to see how often I fail to think the best of someone instead of assuming something negative. I am so guilty of this. I am working on this. In Corinthians 13:7 the scriptures says in talking about love that it "believes all things". A few other translations say "always trust" and "believes the best in all". I have also heard it said that it means that love "gives the benefit of the doubt". It's kind of like our legal system ~ innocent until proven guilty. I can't say that I am happy that someone might question my honesty, but I am thankful that God is showing me where I am lacking in love and how wrong I could be toward others by not giving the benefit of the doubt. My husband is so much better in seeing the "other possibilities" and often points them out to me. So ~ maybe the next time something happens and you don't absolutely, without doubt, know the whole truth ~ you could give the benefit of the doubt.
~ The Benefit of the Doubt ~
believing something good about someone,
instead of something bad,
when you have the possibility to do either.
3 comments:
How many times I've learned a lesson by something happening to me. I too have been in this kind of situation before and I hate that someone thinks I'm not honest. I also hate it when someone thinks that I said something to 'stick' them, when in reality, I didn't even know it concerned them or was a problem. Thank God he sees our hearts and motives.
What a good example Patty. May we all give the benefit of the doubt to others...we certainly like it to be extended to us! :)
Blessings to you!
Camille
What profound truth! I think the world would be a much better place if we thought the best first!! It's hard to do! My toughest challenge is in the car!! God's working on me, though!
Thanks for visiting today!
Hope you have a great week!
Becky
Post a Comment