Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Mixture of Emotions

I have found myself today in a place of laughter, tears, sadness, and joy all brought on by the memories that pictures bring. Our oldest son has asked us to gather pictures of him through the years to do a little slide show for their upcoming wedding. I decided to start gathering pictures today. Wow ~ we have a lot of pictures. Many before the digital phenomenon took place. So, I have been going through stack after stack of pictures. A lady whose son had wed told me not too long ago (when she found out our son would be marrying this year) not to start looking at all the old pictures because it would just make me sad. She was right to an extent. I did find myself feeling sad at moments but also laughing. It just depended on what pictures I came across. So many memories. Some of people who have passed on, of births, of weddings, of birthdays, of graduations, of friends, and everyday life. Today it does seem that time has flown by. Our youngest son is eighteen. For Mother's Day our middle son made me a collage of pictures of him and his brothers over the years for my computer screen.  I see it every time I use the computer. It is a precious gift to me. So much better that anything they could give me to sit around. It also draws mixed emotions out of me. I can't help but smile every time I look at the collage. They have grown up and I am happy to see them moving in new directions and making their way in life ~ but there is a twinge of sadness around the edge of my heart that squeezes.  I hope that I will have many new memories to add in the future ~ but I am sure that when I look back they will bring mixed emotions ~ for it is the way of life. Even so, I want to live it to the fullest claiming all that God has in store for me for His glory. Go make those memories!

8 comments:

Camille said...

Oh Patty!! I have gotten teary over photos too...and at a milestone such as when a child grows up and gets married...well....I can only imagine!! :) Enjoy the new memories you are making! And enjoy the new stage of having a new daughter in love to treasure.

Blessings to you!
Camille

P.S. Thank you for so faithfully stopping by and leaving sweet comments on my blog. I have been neglectful of visiting lately...so sorry! :)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I feel for you! I would feel the same way. I'm already dreading the empty-nest years and I'm no where near being there yet, LOL.

Sandra said...

My first child just got married last month and I had to go through and get pictures for him too. I looked at those pictures of him, so little, so needful of a mom. Now he's a young man and going out to make his own home. When he was young it seemed like it was forever, and now it seems like it was just a couple of years.

Patricia said...

A wonderful post! Love the idea of the collage. I get the mixed emotions when you look at your sons' pictures. It's hard to imagine the religions that refuse photos based on a misunderstanding of OT scripture. Photos are like a window to our soul! Thank you for being so faithful in visiting. I need to work on reciprocating more often. May the Lord bless you.

Camille said...

Wasn't the wedding today?? I trust all went well Patty. :)

Blessings to you and your family!
Camille

Camille said...

Happy weekend to you my friend!

Blessings,
Camille

BECKY said...

How precious, Patty! I know all of those feelings sooo well! Our hearts well up with joy seeing everything come full circle in our children's lives, and remembering special moments with them through the years, but it is bittersweet at times. Change...it's inevitable...and I believe designed by God to constantly remind us that He and He alone is the only one that doesn't change. And I'm SO glad!!

Thank you for popping by my blog! May your weekend be filled with JOY!
Blessings,
Becky

Julie said...

Patty,

Thanks for your recent comments on my blog - it's good to hear from you again! Hope you and your's are doing well -